Youth Outreach ScholarshipOne $1000 Scholarship & Two $1000 Internships for Sarasota Youth
Deadline: Sunday, March 26th, 2017
Apply for a $1,000 Artist Scholarship or $1,000 Artist Internship from Sarasota’s Harvey Milk Festival, and exhibit your work this May at HMF 2017. Funded by Our Sarasota Fund & McCauley-Brown Fund
Submissions are now open and accepted online only.
- Participants must be LBGTQIA between 13 and 25 years of age and college-bound.
- Must be a Sarasota or Manatee County resident
- All work must be original and follow the theme.
- Artists are encouraged to exercise creative freedom during their art making and presentations.
- Artwork submitted can be works in progress, new work or work that has been completed or appropriated within the last 5 years.
- Installations and performances are only limited by the venue, Festival resources, time restrictions and any other restrictions specific to their category.
- Multiple work submissions are accepted and encouraged.
- Submission fees of $15 are required per work, not per applicant.
- Collaborations are also accepted and encouraged, with the submission fee of $15 per work, not per applicant, and the understanding that if artwork is chosen for the award of a Scholarship or Internship, that the award funds, internships and mentorships provided by the Festival will be shared respectfully between collaborative artists.
- Work must be submitted online and by midnight on Sunday, March 26th.
Submissions are now open for all categories of work with the exception of the film category, which will become available in May of 2017. All work will be presented by the artists to HMF team, other applicants, and a panel of adjudicators who are artists and other leaders in our community prominent in their field at small showings 3 months prior to the Festival. Artist talk backs and open feedback will be given following each presentation, and panel will be available for feedback and mentorship to chosen scholars and interns following the showing of their work up until the time of the Festival 2017. Please contact Megan Swick, Youth Outreach Program Manager, for questions about specs and restrictions at email@example.com.
“Hope will never be silent.” -Harvey Milk
Scholars and Interns will receive their cash awards during a short ceremony at HMF 2017. Every applicant’s work will be shown at the Festival in our youth showcase, and the winning work of all three Scholars and Interns will be featured. All work must be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight on Sunday, March 26th, 2017.
Visual/Performance Art – $1,000 Scholarship
Please submit images and videos of original visual art and/or performance art on the given theme, “Hope Will Never Be Silent.” Video installations, durational performance work, interactive experiences, live art and transmedia storytelling accepted here.
Theatre – $1,000 Arts Internship
Please submit monologues 1-5 min in length on the given theme, “Hope Will Never Be Silent.” Performances may include other forms of media, physical theatre, accompaniment and multiple layers of dialogue.
Music – $1K Arts Internship
Please submit music compositions 1-5 min in length of original work on the given theme, “Hope Will Never Be Silent.”
Submission Deadline for all Categories:
Sunday, March 26th, 2017 by midnight.
Applicant Presentations and Critiques:
Thursday, March 31st – Saturday, April 1st, 2017
Artist Internship / Mentor Period:
April 2017 – August 2017
Harvey Milk Festival 2017 Dates:
- Visual/Performance Art Exhibit Opening- Thursday, May 11th, 2017
- Theatre & Monologue Program- Friday, May 12th, 2017
- Musical Performances- Saturday, May 13th, 2017
SUBMISSION FEE: $15*
Payments are only accepted online through PayPal, and must be made by the submission deadline, Sunday March 26th before midnight.
*Applicants who can recruit three colleagues to submit their work will have their submission fees waived.
From all of us at Harvey Milk Festival, thank you for taking part in this exciting Youth Outreach Initiative and we can’t wait to show your work at the Festival this year! Good Luck!